CIVITATENSIS

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Deadbeat Hero

US war deserter, now a hero of Canadian and European peaceniks is, ironically, a deadbeat dad. His
desertion is only another chapter in "a long history of running from commitment." Anderson became a father as a junior at Bryan Station High School in Lexington.

Pulliam says Anderson spent little time with his daughter for almost three years after he left Lexington in 2001. Contrary to Anderson's statements that he wanted to help support his daughter, Pulliam says he never paid child support.

"When I heard that he had gone to Canada I thought it was kind of comical, knowing Darrell the way I do," Pulliam said. "From the first time I met him I thought he was an immature young man. He has a long history of running from commitment. But I'm also saddened for him, because this time I'm afraid he's probably run as far as he can run."

Anderson has maintained a high profile since fleeing to Canada on Jan. 6. He was featured in the Feb. 28 Time magazine, is scheduled to appear soon in a CNN report, and has been interviewed by publications in France and Germany, countries that opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq.
No one is prophet in his own land, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home